Friday, March 30, 2007

What I Know for Sure (Stacey)

There are some things in life that you just know from the very beginning. For me, there are just two things I've ever known for sure. The first is that I am a child of God; held in His hand and covered by His grace. That is something I have known for as long as I can remember.

I also knew from the start that I was born to be a mother. I played with dolls until I was "too old" and had to put them away. To this day, I love the smell of a brand new baby doll! When I was in high school I hated the question, "What are you going to do when you graduate?". I had no desire to do anything except have a family, but I had gotten the message loud and clear that being a mother is not enough in our society. I spent four years of college trying to find something to "be". I only knew that I loved home. Home and family brought me happiness. My mom was the person I admired. She had the life I wanted.

And so I chose. I wanted to "be" a wife and mother. In a world that devalues motherhood, I chose to honor and cherish it as sacred. I chose to raise my children because I believe no one loves them like I do. No one knows them like I do. I would rather be a mother than own a home, have a new car, have a big savings account, or have a career. I knew what I was supposed to "be" from the beginning.

God has been so good to me. He gave me the desires of my heart in ways I could never imagine. He gave me a husband who supports my choices in every way. He not only supports them, he honors them. He will do anything to make my dream of being a "stay at home" mother continue to be a reality. I guess he is the third thing I know for sure!

God has also given me the gift of motherhood in exactly the ways I always dreamed it would be. He knows me so well and He gave me exactly the daughters of my heart. I wouldn't change a thing about my children. Through their lives, He has taught me be a servant, to have more faith, to love with my whole heart, and to grow more Christlike.

He gave me a beautiful, healthy, smart, and vibrant daughter. Allie is my shining star. She fills our lives with joy and laughter. She is compassionate and loving and strong. She is growing into a young lady who follows God with all her heart. Allison is my treasure here on earth.





God blessed me with another daughter. Emma is my butterfly. I was blessed to take care of her for nine wonderful years. She taught me so much about love and life and death and hope. I gave her the best gift I could as her mother; I let her go. I let her go so she could be a butterfly. Emma is my treasure in Heaven.

And now I am waiting for my third daughter. I am excited to experience motherhood in a whole new way. I am praying for the woman who is carrying her and those who will care for her until we can bring her home. I trust God to give us exactly the child He planned to be in our family.

I hope I am teaching my daughters the right things. I hope they know that they don't have to ''be" anything except who God made them. I hope they know there is no one I would rather "be" than their mother!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacey - that was beautiful...you have a gift as a mother, and you have done an amazing job with both of your daughters and I have full faith that things will be no different with the third. As you said, Emma was a gift and I think that we all learned great lessons from her and her life. Allie is becoming a young lady (as we all know) and you've taught her good morals and values that she will never forget, trust me. I love you guys and I'm praying for you and this new addition to our family.
love you - Nikki Nicole

Lisa Alford said...

Stacey,
What a wonderful gift you have for expressing your heart! I also wanted to be a wife and mother from the time I was old enough to cuddle my dolls and little sister and brother! I was blessed with several children that have grown into wonderful adults and some are mothers. They have blessed my heart by wanting to stay home like I did and teach their children all of the things that only a parent can teach.
The fact that you all are waiting for a little one just makes my heart sing!! I am so glad you have chosen to share this with all of us. I will pray for the mother your little one will be told about and her family that will guide her to God's limitless love! What a wonderful life God has in store for her!
I'm praying for you!
Lisa

Elizabeth said...

Stacey,
I'm so overwhelmed with feelings of joy for you. You have always been an amazing mother to Allie, Emma and even me when I was little. I know this next little one will be blessed to be a part of the Olson family and you will be blessed as well through her. I will be praying for you every step of the way.
Love,
Your Sister,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Dean and Stacey,
I am so happy for your family to have finally been able to start this long awaited process. I miss you all alot and Stacey reading your story about being a mother, reminds me of what a great friend you were to me before, we made our move. I miss talking to you and the Godly wisdom which you have such a gift for sharing. I will be keeping an eye and ear out to catch the latest news. Congratulations!

Love ya'll, Tina Selvera

Anonymous said...

Stacey, the abundant love you hold in your heart will bless this very special child about to enter your life! You will be her shining star as you have been the loving source of hope and comfort for Allie and Emma! The Lord has blessed you with an amazing gift to show the world the greatest love, that of the loving hands of a graceful servant embracing a helpless tiny baby! Bradley and I are in prayer for your home and your family in these anticipating days ahead. You will make your girls the special people that change the world with a sincere and humble heart! Love, Franca

Michael said...

Hey all of you, thank you for sharing this online with us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for including us in your journey! We will be praying for you all. God knew from the beginning the perfect little girls for you. His timing is always right. We will pray for protection, provision and wisdom for this part of your journey.
Alaska is the gateway to Asia, who knows but that we may be able to see you and your new baby!
With Love & Prayers - Donna & Steven

Sheree said...

Stacey,
I am so happy for you and for Dean and Allie. I was so moved by your story, you are such a wonderful mother, and friend. My life was truly blessed by knowing you for such a short time.
I will be praying for you and know that God will bless your family in time once again with the laughter and smiles of a young child.
I love being a mom and it has been the best part of my life also, and now that Mikayla is here and 20 months old already I love being a grandma, and hope to soon slow down and be that Soccer grandma..
love you lots
sheree

mindy said...

Stacey-
I'm so happy for you, Dean, and Allie. I'm sure you couldn't be more excited right now. This little girl is getting such a wonderful family that already has so much love for her. You all are always in my prayers. Love you.
Mindy