Tuesday, April 29, 2008

No Easy Answers

I don't really know where to begin with this post. I have been debating about writing anything at all about this subject for months. I have started several posts and deleted them but circumstances this weekend have made me really believe that the time has come to try to convey my thoughts on this issue, so here goes...

We have been anxiously watching the situation of Vietnam adoptions for months now and, on this past Friday, an announcement was made that the agreement between the U.S. and Vietnam will not be renewed and referrals will not be given after Sept. 1. Those who have a referral will be allowed to continue with completing their adoption. Of course, we feel very relieved to have our referral. That being said, there are so many other issues involved in this. It is not black and white. I'm not going to go into the details of all of the reasons behind the closing of adoptions in Vietnam. Anyone who is interested in knowing more will have no problem finding info if they search for it. I definitely have my own opinions about the situation but I do not want to use this as a place to debate the issue.

I guess what I want to address is where we go from here. When we began our adoption over a year ago we had no idea this stuff was going on. That may sound naive, but it is true. It was the last thing to cross my mind. As we have watched this situation unfold it has created so many questions in our minds. So many questions that do not have clear answers. There is absolutely no way that we would ever want to participate in anything unethical, so what should we do?

When it comes down to it, there is only one answer that makes sense; we believe that God is in control and He is sovereign. We went into this believing we were lead by God and we have turned to Him in every step we have made. We trust that He has been intimately involved in choosing this child for our family. I believe that if Anna Grace has been stolen or bought or taken from her family in any other wrong way, then it will be brought to light. That would be devastating for me to face, but I will trust God even then. We have seen God working in our lives in such amazing ways and we believe He will do what will bring Him glory. That is all there is to it. He is God and I trust Him.

Don't get me wrong. I am not some rock of faith. My heart aches for this situation and the families and the children who are being affected. I am so afraid of what may happen in our case. I desperately want Anna Grace to come home as soon as possible. I can't make that happen though. Only He can. I have to place her in His hands once again and say, "She is yours, not mine. Please do what is best for HER, not me." He will. I know it. But can I accept it no matter the answer? With God's grace, I will.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I read this and thought of you.

http://www.lproof.org/Devotions/2007/
ThePriceofPeace.html