Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day Three

Lately, I have been struggling with the whole age thing. I really don't think of myself as "old" when I am living my everyday life. I don't think about it a whole lot to be honest. I just do my thing. Until the other day...


I went to Barnes and Noble for some peace and quiet and was surprised by all of the noise when I got there. As I walked to the back of the store I quickly realized that solitude was not going to happen that day. There were kids everywhere, toddlers I guess, and it looked to me as if they all had been brought by their babysitters. At first I thought, "How sad that none of these kids have a mom who can take the time to bring them to storytime." Then I heard one of them call for their mommy and one of those young girls answered back! Wait a minute. I am old! I felt so out of place. Like I didn't belong and I was struck with fear that this would be how Anna Grace will feel. Will she feel like she has the old mommy? Will she be embarrassed to be seen with me? I hope not. My first thought is that I will have to work on looking and acting younger. But, no, I will have to work on accepting myself the way I am and teaching my daughters to do the same for themselves and others. Especially their old mom.


Thought for the Day: Day Three

Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil.
For You are with me.
Your rod and your staff;
they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4 (Allie's favorite verse)

5 comments:

Elizabeth Mills said...

um...you are younger than mom was when she had me and i never thought i had an "old mom." i was the one that had the cool laid back mom...

Crystal Olson said...

Old?! Your not old! Eric feels like an old man with children and has voiced this often. To his surprise several friends that had children when they were in their 20's and waited until later to finish their family claim that they enjoyed the children they had later more! They felt more comfortable and confident with decisions they made and didn't worry so much about what others thought. One neighbor even claims that she wishes she would have waited to have all of her children because her husband was so much more involved and interested with the last one.

Don't worry about fitting in because you are very special just the way you are! And remember God choose YOU to be Anna's mom because of the way you are and what she needs!!!
Love, Crystal

Beth said...

From an even older Mom...you will be surprised how many other "older" moms seem to come out of the woodwork. I'm blessed to have several friends in the same place in life. I am still the oldest but they are not but a few years behind. I often thought I had "old" parents. They were younger than I am when I was born. I think it is more about how you act. Anna Grace will have to keep up with you. She will keep you young as well. I'm counting on that at least for myself.

Pam Fatula said...

You will be surprised at how Anna will keep you "young"... you won't have time to feel old!! and the best part is... I think when your older you have more patience, and enjoy them more!! So have fun !!

Erika said...

I agree with Liz, regardless of age, you'll be the "cool laid back mom". :)