Monday, January 5, 2009

Change

I was catching up on my blog reading over the weekend and one post that caught my attention and got me thinking was by my friend, Sumi. She had gotten the idea from another blog to come up with one word or phrase to carry through this new year. Something to really focus on and incorporate into your own life. As anyone who has been following my blog for a while knows from my New Years post last year, I am all about fresh starts and new beginnings. So Sumi really got me thinking. What one word would I like to make a part of who I am this year?

That's a tough one since there are so many areas of my life that could use some focus and attention, but the one word that came to my mind first was change. I could blame it on the political season we have just come through and the way that word was thrown around by anyone and everyone, but I believe it goes much deeper than that for me.

When I was younger, I enjoyed change. I got easily bored with things staying the same. But as I got older, I started to resent change. Maybe because I have had so many changes forced upon me. Changes that I didn't choose. Changes that happened to me because of circumstances beyond my control. So now I find myself holding on to things the way they are with both fists closed. I don't necessarily like things the way they are but change sounds even worse. It is scary and unknown and I want to keep things familiar and stable.

So, I guess for 2009 I will embrace change. There are so many changes I need to make in my life and I need to just do it. Changes that are in my control and would make life much better. And I know that life will bring the other kinds of changes because it always does. So I will try to embrace each change instead of fighting it or worrying.

I guess, most imprtantly, I will try to see change as the hand of God working in my life to do something different, bigger, beyond what my human eyes can see. 2009- the year of change, but not just change, change that is created and embraced by me!

No comments: