Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ordinary Moments. Becoming Extraordinary Moments.

Just a normal everyday activity can become something more. I don't know why this happens at some times but not others. Maybe it is the state of our heart. Maybe there are moments when our hearts and eyes and ears are open to more. Moments when we see beyond the meaningless into the meaningful. And a moment becomes full of meaning.

Like last night. I was in another room doing the usual mundane tasks of keeping house. I could hear my husband reading our littlest one a book. Not just any book. A favorite book. A book we read over and over and over. So many times that we read it from memory, no longer paying attention to the words. Just mindlessly saying it once again. He was reading it with his usual dramatics. Making her laugh and scream in all the right spots. And I was just listening because there was nothing else to hear at that moment. Listening because I had no other choice.

And then I started to hear the words in a new way. It is a simple book. I'm sure you have read it too. Maybe even sung it, I imagine. It's the story of a family going on a bear hunt. Ringing a bell? They face all kinds of obstacles; tall grass, water, mud, snow... you remember now? And each time they say these words...

We can't go over it.
We can't go under it.
Oh, no!
We've got to go through it!

As I listened to my husband reading these words over and over throughout the story something happened in my heart. They spoke to me. I realized that all these years I have been on my own bear hunt of sorts.

I am not hunting for a bear. But, in my heart I am searching for something just as elusive. Happiness, contentment, acceptance, peace. I set out each day on my search for these things and something or someone stands in my path.

And what do I do?

I stand there. Trying to figure out how to get over it, or under it, or around it maybe. Anything but going through it. I don't want to do the hard stuff. I want a way out. And so I stand there. Thinking. Analyzing. Wasting time. Maybe even contemplating giving up or turning back.

Because going through it looks scary. Impossible even. I don't believe I can do it. But, in the end, I realize going through it is the only way to the other side. I have to take the step forward into the unknown and just go through it.

I'm so grateful, though, that I don't go through it alone. I have One who is with me. Guiding me. Making my path straight. Holding me up. Picking me up. Believing in me. Every step. Every day.

So when the obstacles come, and they will, I will remember an ordinary evening. Listening to an ordinary story. But learning an extraordinary lesson.

I can't go over it.
I can't go under it.
Thank, God!
I will go though it!

3 comments:

autumn1329 said...

I loved this. Such simple words with such meaning. P.S. You are a fantastic writer.

Pam F said...

Thanks Stacey..I needed those words today! :). Pam

Uncle Jim & Aunt Hallie said...

You have very good insight.