Monday, December 19, 2011

Be Still

Be still and know that I am God.  This verse from Psalm 46 has been echoing in my mind and in my heart for weeks.  I can't stop thinking about it.  I hear it as I go about my day doing all of the ordinary things I do... making beds, doing laundry, preparing meals, taking the dog out.  The words "Be Still" follow me everywhere.  The problem is I haven't taken the time to be still enough to really think about them and the message I need to hear.

"Be Still!"  I can still hear my seventh grade English teacher shouting these words as she hit her desk with a ruler.  She was in her seventies and trying to keep control of a room full of adolescents.  And her patience was wearing thin.  She would get so frustrated and shout at us to be still and for a few moments it worked.  But she also had another method of getting our attention.  It was a Christian school so she was allowed to pray and that she did.  Quietly.  Calmly.  And we would be still.

Sometimes, I think God does shout to us, "Be Still!"  It takes something big to get our attention and make us slow down.  Something like cancer or a death.  Life as we know it stops and we have no choice but to be still and catch our breath.

Other times we hear a still, small voice.  It whispers to us.  Like this verse that won't leave me alone.  I hear God whispering to me throughout the day, "Be still.  Wait for Me.  Listen for Me.".  But I keep on going.  Doing my thing. 

Part of the problem is I don't know how to be still anymore.  Even when my body is still, my mind never stops.  I have facebook to catch up on, books to read, shows to watch, email to write, and blogs to read.  It never stops.  My mind is never still.  I've forgotten how to be quiet.  It feels odd and uncomfortable.

One of the things I miss the most about my precious Emma is the stillness she created.  Everything about her was slower and calmer.  She brought a peace into my life.  I could sit and hold her and do nothing else.  She didn't require anything from me except my presence.  I loved the time we spent just looking into each other's eyes.  And it was enough.  She wanted nothing more.  And I was still.  My mind was quiet and content.  I miss that.

God is whispering to me.  He is telling me to turn the world off and to just be still with Him.  He wants me to make my mind quiet and just look at Him.  I feel it within me and there is no better time than the Christmas season to turn my eyes upon Him.  I have been struggling to feel the Christmas spirit this year and I think I know why.  It can't feel like Christmas if you haven't been still in His presence. 

So, that is my goal this Christmas.  To be still and feel the peace of Christ.  To listen to His whisper so He doesn't have to shout!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like what you wrote about being still.we sure all need that.thanks....marie