Monday, October 1, 2012

Freedom from Comparison


Well, I've never done a link up before but I am trying to be more consistent in my blogging so it seemed like it might be what I need right now for a little motivation.  This one is sponsored by The Nester and is a challenge to blog for 31 days about the topic of your choosing.  As you can see from my cute little button at the top there, I will be posting on the topic of freedom.  I was considering all of the subjects I could spend my time and energy on and I realized that there was a common theme of the need for freedom in my life.  Whether it be freedom from something or to do something or  freedom to be something, I know that I can find the answers I am looking for if I take the time to search my heart and the Word.  So, here goes... I hope you will join me and I hope my journey will provide some inspiration for you too!


Comparison.  It has been an enemy of mine for so long.  It erodes my confidence, steals my joy, disrupts my peace, and destroys my relationships.  But, most importantly, it diminishes my calling.  I know that God has created and called me to do certain things in this world and I let comparison get in the way of fulfilling my mission.  It is so sad and it really terrifies me that I could let it defeat me and get the best of me.  And I will never know the satisfaction of completing my assignment here and doing it well.

It can be so tiring... comparing our parenting styles, our life choices, our appearances, our postions, our incomes, our giving... it goes on and on and on.  Before we know it, comparison has robbed us of ourselves.  We are so busy looking at others and what they have that we forget who we are and what we have.  And then we think... maybe that other person would be better at what we know God has called us to do.  So, we don't trust His judgement and we make our own decision that someone else should do it.  Someone else who could do it better. 

What about the opposite side of comparison?  The one where we look at ourselves and look at others and think more highly of ourselves than we should.  We look for people who make us look good and we use them.  We think we can do everything right and step in and over people to do it our way.  And in the process, we make ourselves little in God's eyes and we steal someone else's calling. 

Comparison.  It kills.  It destroys.  Why do we do it?


"For who do you know that really knows you, knows your heart? And even if they did, is there anything they would discover in you that you could take credit for? Isn't everything you have and everything you are sheer gifts from God? So what's the point of all this comparing and competing?" 
I Corinthians 4:7

Maybe the secret to escaping the comparison trap is to realize that anything that is good about me is a gift from God.  I didn't do it on my own.  I didn't create it.  It is a gift.  As simple as that.  So, maybe instead of comparing myself to others I should be filled with gratitude for what He has given to me.  I should protect it, groom it, and use it.  And when I look at others, I can be grateful for what He has given them and I can take joy in watching others use their gifts for their calling.  I am the only one who truly knows my heart, after all.  And when I look at myself I want to see me, not an image of someone else, but me.  The me God created for His glory and His purpose. For I am fearfully and wonderfully made...just the way I am!   









No comments: