Monday, October 8, 2012

Freedom from Drifting

I spent some time at a beach a few days ago, just looking and enjoying the view. I didn't swim this time, but as I watched the waves I remembered the times I have spent in the Atlantic and the way the waves can toss you around. I never really enjoyed that feeling of not being in control.

It made me think of the verse in Ephesians 4:14, "Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.". The previous verses are encouraging us to mature as Christians so that we can be strong in our faith and able to stand in the truth. It makes me so sad to see people who are being tossed around every which way by any new wind that blows their way.

I have encountered so many people lately who are unable to discern the truth from the lies and are following whatever the latest thing may be, until something new comes along. So much of it is based on emotion and trying to find some new spiritual high. It's gotten so that I inwardly roll my eyes when I hear the words, "God spoke to me". I have to say that unless you can show me in His inspired Word where those words He spoke to you are, then I'm not real interested in hearing it. God already spoke His truth. Our job is to grow up in that truth instead of continually seeking something new.

As I looked beyond the waves of the ocean that day, I saw some pelicans drifting in the water. Going nowhere. Just drifting along. That is what is happening to so many of us. We get tired from being tossed around and we just start drifting. We drift to a different church or different doctrines, but going nowhere in our growth. It is because we aren't doing the work it takes to mature in our faith and allow God to complete His work in us.

I don't know about you but I don't want to be tossed around or to be caught drifting. I want to grow up. I want to be a mature believer. I want to stand against the winds of false teaching. The only way I know to do that is to get into the word He already gave me and to stop looking for an emotional experience or a "new" voice. God's word provides all I need for every situation I may face today and always.

Let's grow up!!

No comments: